Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Giada's Farmer's Pasta (aka Bacon Mac n Cheese)

Savory Eats

Yes, Bacon Mac n Cheese is out of this world. No, it's not a dish I typically cook. So, why was I whipping up three F-ing pounds of Giada's Farmer's Pasta (aka Bacon Mac n Cheese) on Sunday night? Well, my younger brother Jack is on the soccer team at Brown...
Yay Jack!!

When Jack asked if he and a friend from school could stay at my apartment Columbus Day weekend, I gladly accepted. On top of that, I agreed to make them a home-cooked meal (considering this is something you're deprived of in college). To my surprise, Jack showed up to NYC with not one, but FOUR friends.
 And these are no ordinary friends...they are large, hungry Brown soccer players.

Because I love my brother, I followed through with my promise: a homemade meal...What can I cook in one or two pots that won't take more than an hour and is both filling and delicious for collegiate athletes?...
BACON MAC N CHEESE!

Giada's Farmer's Pasta was the perfect fix...

Cheesy-gredients:
  • 2 tablespoons of butter
  • 6 ounces of bacon, chopped (I bought the Trader Joe's precooked bacon)
  • 4 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 7 cups whole milk
  • 8 ounces Fontina cheese, grated
  • 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
  • 3/4 cup grated Parmesan
  • 6 ounces provolone cheese, grated
  • 1 pound rigatoni pasta (or any pasta you like)
  • 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
  • 2 cups Italian bread crumbs
  • Salt and pepper
Recipe:
THE BACON and CHEESE
-Heat 2 tablespoon of butter in a large pot and add the chopped bacon. Saute until crisp for about 5 minutes.
-Transfer the bacon to a bowl and set aside (leaving the residual butter in the pot). Reduce the heat and add the garlic. Saute for about 30 seconds.
-Add the flour to the garlic and whisk for 2 minutes.
-Gradually whisk in the milk. When all the milk is added, bring the liquid to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer until the sauce thickens (whisking for about 5 minutes).
-Gradually whisk in all four cheeses.
Yes, that's SEVEN cups of milk.

THE PASTA
-Cook the pasta (whichever type you choose) until al dente (the pasta will continue to cook in the oven).
-Drain the pasta and add it directly into the cheese.
-Add the parsley, basil, and bacon and toss all together.
-Season with salt and pepper.

THE PARMESAN CRUST
-Transfer the pasta into a baking dish.
-In a separate bowl, mix the breadcrumbs with a tablespoon of olive oil. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the pasta. Drizzle the top with some olive oil.
-Bake at 375 degrees until the breadcrumbs are golden brown and the cheese sauce is bubbly (about 20 minutes).
-SERVE IMMEDIATELY!!
Since I was cooking for an army, I tripled the recipe and it was a hit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment