Monday, January 21, 2013

Salt.

Savory Eats & Big Apple Bites

Salt...something that I sprinkle on my food far too frequently.
Smoked Paprika Sea Salt, Truffle Sea Salt, Smoked Alderwood Sea Salt, Hickory Sea Salt...

If it's salty, I love it - salted caramel, salted kettle corn, extra-salty soft pretzels, salty pickles, dark chocolate with sea salt. I could go on forever. So when my friend Aleksa took me to The Filling Station on Saturday, I died and went to heaven. The Filling Station is a unique shop in Chelsea Market that specializes in infused oils, vinegars, and rare salts.
Yes...those labels say bacon, espresso, and white truffle salt.

I splurged and went for an $11.00 jar of the white truffle salt. It was worth every penny. I left the store eating white truffle salt straight out of the palm of my hand. You could sprinkle this little jar of heaven on plain spaghetti with olive oil and it will taste immaculate.

Luckily, my mom has a great recipe to make Citrus Salt so I can avoid spending my life savings at The Filling Station.
It is great sprinkled on vegetables or a salad (or on the rim of a margarita??)

Ingredients:
  • Flaky sea salt (ie. Maldon Sea Salt Flakes)
  • Fresh lemon, lime, orange, or grapefruit zest (or whatever flavor you want!)
Recipe:
-Preheat the oven to 225 degrees.
-Combine the sea salt and citrus zest in a bowl and mix well...for every 1/2 cup of sea salt there should be 1 tablespoon of zest. Make sure you really work the zest and salt together to avoid clumps of zest.
-Spread across a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake the salt for 70 minutes (until the citrus is fully dried out).
-Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
-Then, if you want your salt a bit more fine, you can pulse the salt a few times in a food processor.
-Store in an air-tight jar for a few months and ENJOY!
It can be gifted in cute jars too!

1 comment: