Friday, January 11, 2013

Gramercy Park Hotel: Brunch on the Terrace

Big Apple Bites

My experience at the Gramercy Park Hotel felt like Christmas morning. My mom was in town and the Gramercy Park Hotel Terrace had been highly recommended for brunch. Little did I know that upon entering the hotel I would be greeted by a gigantic Damien Hirst piece from his butterfly collection. Being that I was an art history minor at Georgetown (and in love with all of Damien Hirst's work), this was the highlight of my experience.
Damien Hirst
Posterity-The Holy Place

Another notable piece in the lobby...
Dan Colen
(untitled)
...this is made of chewing gum!

After ogling at the butterfly piece, we made our way up to the terrace. Stepping out of the elevator, I felt like I was walking into a modern art museum. It was heaven...
Andy Warhol
Sylvester Stallone, Robert Mapplethorpe, and Henry Geldzahler

Damien Hirst
Beautiful Sick and Jealous of What You've Got
...of the spin art collection

Damien Hirst
Oral Cancer, Light Micrograph

Onto the food (which was good, but out-shined by the art)...The menu was small, but decadent. To start, we all split the Bread Pudding French Toast topped with berries and sweet cream. The waitress described the dish as, "french toast made from an assortment of fresh baked pastries in our kitchen." TO DIE FOR...
Mmmmmm.

I ordered...
Soft Baked Eggs
with squash, tarragon, and goat cheese

Kait ordered...
Two Eggs Skillet
with crispy potatoes, bacon, and toast

Mom and Anja ordered smoked salmon on an everything bagel with cream cheese, capers, and onions (simple but still delicious).

The food was good, the art was great. A definite recommendation for art lovers and foodies!

No comments:

Post a Comment