Monday, February 11, 2013

Aquavit Restaurant

Big Apple Bites

With Valentine's Day in mind, I figured this restaurant would be perfect for today's post as it's the ideal date spot. Last week, I went to Aquavit on 55th Street between Park and Madison. I'm usually not a fan of fancy restaurants where they serve you twelve tiny courses and one ginormous bill...but every bite at Aquavit was a party in my mouth.
65 East 55th St.

It was equal parts sophisticated and homey. I know I've said this before, but Aquavit was yet another restaurant where even the complimentary bread and butter blew me away: warm Danish rye and sourdough bread with creamy brown butter and sea salt flakes. In addition, between every course there was a small dish, complements of the chef...like a smoked truffle and tapioca amuse bouche to start and a perfect selection of petit fours for dessert. Now, what did we order?

Wild Mushrooms
poached egg, polenta emulsion, crispy grains
...the crispy grains topping was out of this world

Nantucket Bay Scallop
Maine sea urchin, cucumber, dill
...A+ for presentation

Monkfish
radish, potato puree, smoked jus
...de-lish

Day Boat Cod
cauliflower, Maine lobster, brown butter
...this awful picture doesn't do the dish  justice

Last but not least, a delicious spread of complimentary petit fours

No comments:

Post a Comment