Friday, December 7, 2012

Spaghetti with Clams and Broccolini

Savory Eats

On Monday night, Nat took me to a pasta-making class with an amazing chef from the Food Network's Chopped. It was a blast (and I actually learned A TON).

Anyways, this cooking adventure really got me in the mood for pasta. So, last night I made a dish that really boosted my "culinego" (culinary ego). I swear I could have been on Top Chef...
Spaghetti with clams and broccolini - from Fine Cooking Magazine

Never having cooked with raw clams before, I was shocked by how easy it was...and they tasted incredible.

Ingredients:
*These measurements made 3 large servings without leftovers
  • A large bunch of fresh broccolini, sliced into 1 inch pieces
  • 1/2 box of thin angel hair spaghetti
  • 4 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1 lb Manila clams
  • Sea salt and pepper
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
**I added 1 cup of sauteed shrimp to the pasta to add some more protein.

Recipe:
-Start boiling water for the pasta. Generously salt the water.
Cut the broccolini and chop the garlic.

-Once the water has reached a rolling boil, add the angel hair pasta and broccolini. Cook until pastsa is al dente (roughly 4 minutes). Drain and reserve 1/4 cup pasta water.
Thoroughly wash the clams with water. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the chopped garlic and chili flakes. Cook for 1 minute (until fragrant). Add the clams, cover, and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until the clams open (roughly 5 minutes).

Add the spaghetti/broccolini and 1/4 pasta water to the opened clams. (I also added the shrimp in this step)

Top with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.

Top with fresh parsley. Add some salt and pepper and mix well.

I served the pasta with a side of sauteed broccolini. Sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top if you'd like (I preferred the dish without cheese). ENJOY your gourmet meal!

1 comment:

  1. Your website is very beautiful or Articles. I love it thank you for sharing for everyone. Gifts to Philippines

    ReplyDelete